Decided to spend the morning rewatching certain scenes from The Book Group to try to figure out the book list for the entire series. An exciting way to spend my pre-hurricane Saturday, I know.
My list is almost complete, with the exception of two of the books in the second season. If you happen to know or have a good educated guess as to what the books are feel free to leave a comment, I would love to know…. They have stars next to them….
The Book Group Season 1 Book List:
1. On The Road by Jack Kerouac
2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
3. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
4. The Little Engine that Could (unknown version, probably Watty Piper)
5. “Dark Alley by Martin Logan” fake book/author
6. The Divining Bell an the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
The Book Group Season 2 Book List:
1. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
2. Hunger: a novel by Knut Hamsen
3. Collection of Poems including Archaic Torso of Apollo by Rainer Maria Rilke
***4. Unknown: “a classic about moving to spain” possibly The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway?
5. The Sexual Life of Catherine M. by Catherine Millet
6. The Map of Love Andaf Soueif
And for anyone else who is a fan of the poem Carol Ann reads in s2e3 and would like to enjoy it sans Fist’s commentary:
Archaic Torso of Apollo
by Rainer Maria Rilke
translated by Stephen Mitchell
We cannot know his legendary head
with eyes like ripening fruit. And yet his torso
is still suffused with brilliance from inside,
like a lamp, in which his gaze, now turned to low,
gleams in all its power. Otherwise
the curved breast could not dazzle you so, nor could
a smile run through the placid hips and thighs
to that dark center where procreation flared.
Otherwise this stone would seem defaced
beneath the translucent cascade of the shoulders
and would not glisten like a wild beast’s fur:
would not, from all the borders of itself,
burst like a star: for here there is no place
that does not see you. You must change your life.